There is a bumper entry still to come here at Film Studies For Free before the global annus horribilis of 2016 is out, you mark this blog's words.
But in the meantime, below is a handy list of links to the thirteen free film-studies videos its author has made and formally published in the last twelve months (see here for more information). There are a few unlisted ones that were also made this year and await publication, including yet another videographic work on Brief Encounter... These should see the light of online day in the next calendar year.
- DISSOLVES OF PASSION: This video on Brief Encounter formed an integral part of Catherine Grant’s contribution to The Videographic Essay: Criticism in Sound and Image, a collection of work edited by Christian Keathley and Jason Mittell (Caboose Books, 2016; http://caboosebooks.net/the-videographic-essay and http://caboosebooks.net/node/150)
- INTERPLAY: A tribute to the work (on psychoanalytic object relations and the cinema) of film scholar Annette Kuhn, featuring excerpts from Mandy (1952), My Ain Folk (Bill Douglas, 1973), Ratcatcher (Lynne Ramsay, 1999), Distant Voices, Still Lives (Terence Davies, 1988) and Where Is the Friend’s Home? (Abbas Kiarostami, 1987) This video was published, with a short accompanying text, here: 'INTERPLAY: (Re)Finding and (Re)Framing Cinematic Experience, Film Space, and the Child’s World', LOLA, 6, 2015. Online at: http://lolajournal.com/6/interplay.html
- UN/CONTAINED: On Andrea Arnold's Fish Tank: Published as part of ‘Beyond tautology? Audiovisual Film Criticism’, Film Criticism, Vol. 40, No.1, 2016. Online at: http://hdl.handle.net/2027/spo.13761232.0040.113
- THERESE and CAROL and ALEC & LAURA (A Brief Encounter): Todd Haynes’ Carol meets Brief Encounter https://vimeo.com/149791810
- LOS OLVIDADOS / LAZARUS: Buñuel meets Bowie. Made on the awful day we heard of David Bowie’s untimely death: https://vimeo.com/151541761
- SPARKLE: A tiny video-remix comparison of some glimmering audio/visual moments from Picnic at Hanging Rock (Peter Weir, 1975), The Virgin Suicides (Sofia Coppola, 1999) and The Falling (Carol Morley, 2014). https://vimeo.com/157653540
- SIDE-BY-SIDE | UP-AND-DOWN: Comparative Videographic Approaches to Transnational Cinema Studies: On split screen techniques of audiovisual comparison as a sensuous film critical methodology in transnational cinema studies. http://filmanalytical.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/side-by-side-up-and-down-comparative.html
- THE ARCADES VARIATIONS A collaborative video experiment using film images from De Stad In Spiegelbeeld Amsterdam, J.P. Smits Filmdistribution, 1925 (From BITS and PIECES Collection - BP300 EYE Film Instituut Nederland) by Catherine Grant and Stanislaw Liguziński https://vimeo.com/168220320. See project documentation here: https://vimeo.com/filmarcades.
- THE PERSISTENCE OF VISION: A video tribute to the work of film scholar Elizabeth Cowie, featuring Morocco, Now, Voyager and Let There Be Light, as well as the voices and choices of Andrew Klevan, Christine Evans, Coral Houtman and Sarah Wood https://vimeo.com/169120246
- DÉCORUMS A video on Renoir’s Le Règle du Jeu/Rules of the Games. Made as a tribute to the work and life of film scholar V.F. Perkins https://vimeo.com/175573896
- MATCHES - featuring Johnny Guitar (Nicholas Ray, 1954) Mujeres al borde de un ataque de nervios / Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (Pedro Almodóvar, 1988) https://vimeo.com/178181337